A pension is money you’ll use to live on when you retire. Most people get a State Pension from the government, which covers basic needs but often does not provide that dream retirement. To give you a good standard of living once you stop working, it’s usually necessary to save some extra money in a pension fund. Your retirement will hopefully be around 30 years, so your pension planning needs to provide funds to allow a good standard of living during that time.
Your needs may change as you go through life so review what you’re saving regularly to make sure you’ll still be able to have the lifestyle you’re planning.
How much you’ll need to put away for your pension depends on:
- What you can afford to save
- How many working years you have to save
- What your needs and desires will be when you retire
- Your pension planning checklist
- Think about the lifestyle you want when you retire and the commitments you’re likely to have.